Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Disconnected at the Hips

"I accept the fact that as a ranger, my country expects me to move further, faster, and fight harder than any other soldier." 
     --Ranger Creed

Disconnected at the Hips

my days stop
for maybe twenty minutes

before the next one
begins

they call this droning

i quit wearing underwear
last week

you know? to save time

and i started chewing
tree bark

yesterday, i saw a black bear
but nobody believes me

and the day before
i split my pants

my nutsack just hung there
like a tree ornament

since i wasn’t wearing undies
and all

today, i sold my lunch for forty bucks
to a private from boston

he pronounces hooters
whoo-das

i could definitely go for some hot wings
and a beer

well, i’m getting ready to jump
into the everglades now

by the way
i really miss you

*****************
This is my Mary Ruefle imitation poem. I tried to create something that seemed disconnected and "fragmented" like the original title was. But I also wanted to create a world that seems outside of reality.  This poem was inspired by letters my husband wrote me during his time  at Army Ranger School. 

No comments:

Post a Comment