Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Plywood Walls


There is a brothel
hanging

on my ceiling

what is it about the
unfamiliar

that keeps me so
comforted

at 12am on the top
bed

of a bunk I used to
share

with a kid from
Sarasota

who liked to strum
to Dylan

on the beach

who picked flowers
for a girl

he loved since the
7th grade

who bled out like a
broken levee

in the back of a half
blown up

humvee

as shrapnel pierced his
19yr old neck

while I clinched tightly his
19yr old hand

and told him everything was
fine

as I watched life drain
slowly

out of his 19yr old
eyes

and I don’t even know
the name

of the guy who killed
him

and I probably won’t
know

the name of the guy who
will kill me

and I definitely don’t know
the names

of any of these women

staring down from the
ceiling

but they are here
tonight

I’m somehow how still here
too

and for the moment everything
really is

just fine

 

No comments:

Post a Comment