Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Run Wild (by Chad Forbregd)

Once I was little. I said my prayers,
I took my vitamins,
and yet I still went wrong.
The truth is, Cleopatra was Greek,
not Egyptian.
She liked her coffee fiery,
bolt cutter strong.
Once, after a shower,
I saw her without makeup.
Like dreams she looked real.
She moved like an animal
or child. Like a shark
she swims backwards in secret.
She liked Miller 64
and lightening bugs.
Her eyes were an extension of the atmosphere.
The truth is sometimes my loneliness gets lonely.
Lonely like the human heart
I have never had to resuscitate.
I spent my childhood saying
somethings in life are real enough for me.


*****************************
I'm in love with the way this poem moves in and out of all these ideas that don't always relate, but work together in the weird world that has been created here. Chad just has the natural ability to wind around like this and land on lines like She liked her coffee fiery/bolt cutter strong or she swims backwards in secret. I'm always thoroughly impressed with Chad's poems and this was no exception. He keeps the same tone here as he does with other poems even though I believe this form differs from most of his others. His confident tone also increases how true his poems feel...even when it's not possible that they are. Well not for the most part. 

No comments:

Post a Comment