Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Snapped


I’ve seen pictures
that I wasn’t supposed to see

taken near the edge
of a burning poppy field

men dressed in white

jaws
   hanging
           open

bullet holes exiting the
left       or         right

sides of their heads

brown skin
blending in with the ground

and you kneeling down
next to them

like it’s the first day
of shotgun season

and you just bagged
a ten pointer

but it’s not even November

and this is not like
the stuff they show in the movies

this looks real
maybe

because it is

or maybe because you’re
real

to me

even though this isn’t you
in some sense

this is another universe
and we don’t even know each other

and I don’t even have to love the man
in this picture

but I do

need to ask
what was said before this was taken

Just one more, I wasn’t smiling in that last one?

**********************************************
Assignment: So I think this poem works because I just wrote it, and it's midnight...but also because I can hear my voice in this one, you know? I feel like the line breaks are in the right places to accurately represent my persona in this piece, and I think the language feels clean to the point that it does what it needs to do without weighing the poem down.

No comments:

Post a Comment